Hi, I'm Teresa.
I specialize in working with individuals suffering from
panic and anxiety.
I am passionate about working with children (as young as 5), teenagers, and adults who find it difficult to function in everyday life due to anxiety, stress, family conflict, depression, or adjustment to a life event.
I am genuine and good at helping people feel safe and comfortable in therapy.
I feel that when a child is having difficulties, the whole family is in need. Many times people come to me as a last resort. Parents feel inadequate at handling the fears of their child. Everyone in the home feels as if they have to “walk on eggshells,” are constantly arguing and blaming each other, and feel at a loss as to what to do to help the situation.
I work individually with the child while empowering the parent to deal with the issues outside of treatment. Much of my work with the child is through developing stronger coping skills while my work with the parent(s) focuses on developing more effective parenting techniques and helping to gain insight into how the family is functioning.
I am passionate about working with children who suffer from anxiety.
I am a parent of a child diagnosed with an anxiety disorder. I understand what it is like to feel hopelessness and frustrated in dealing with someone with fears that appear unusual or exaggerated. Anxiety affects the whole family. Many of the children and families I see are eager to start working and progress is typically seen in a few sessions. Each family member should come out with a greater understanding and a feeling of empowerment.
A Little About My Professional Background
Education and License:
- B.A. in Psychology from University of South Florida, 1997
- M.A. in Mental Health Counseling from Argosy University, 2001
- Licensed Mental Health Counseling in the state of Florida, 2003
- Therapist for children in therapeutic foster placements.
- Therapist in various community programs with the goal of preventing residential
treatment and reunifying foster children with their parents.
- Supervisor over the clinical program of an in-patient mental health facility for children
- Over ten years in private practice working with children, teens, adults, and families.